History

Seventy-three subscribers raised £396 to build a "New Wesleyan Chapel" in Adwick-le-Street in 1887. The small brick chapel with its slate roof was heated by a pot-bellied stove. There is still a mark on the wall below the clock to show where the stove-pipe went through. AmpIe light came through the large windows, and after dark the paraffin lamps which hung from hooks in the beams were lit.

The schoolroom was added in 1910, heated by two coal fires. One fireplace was removed during the recent repairs, and the other holds the safe.

After World War I, the Trust minutes record that water-closets were installed, as was a hot-water heating system. The boiler was in a pit in an out-house, which became flooded during rainy weather and had to be pumped out. After the sinking of Brodsworth Colliery, the lighting was changed and gas became available (traces of the positions of the gas brackets can be seen on the walls) and this remained until 1928 when electric lighting was provided.

The present organ (replacing a one-manual hand-pumped instrument, which went to Upton) is a Nelson two-manual organ, given by her four daughters in memory of Mrs. Ellen Hinchcliff (Mrs. Thiriwell's grandmother). Some controversy arose over where it should be sited; Mr. Nelson was given a specification which precluded the blocking up of any window. There was feverish activity before the official midweek “opening" of the organ: the electric motor proved to be too noisy and not powerful enough for the blower. So Harold Hall was despatched to Derby to collect a replacement. The tuning of the organ was thus delayed and the opening service had to be performed on the swell stop manual only. Work continued during the afternoon so that the complete instrument could be used for the recital in the evening.

Before the building of the school room, Chapel Teas (such an important part of the social life of Methodism) were held in the coach-house of Manor Farm, just across the road, the home of William and Ellen Hinchcliff.

As long ago as 1922 the then Trustees were considering the purchase of land to the west of the chapel for the extension of the premises, but it was not until the early sixties that the expanding Youth work (led by Glan Morgan and his team of helpers) triggered off the provision of new kitchen and toilet facilities. Several schemes were brought forward until finally, with the aid of various loans and grants from sources such as the Chapel Fund and the Department of Education and Science, the extensions we now have were opened in 1964, and the two windows at the far end of the Chapel were blocked up!

More history

You are viewing the text version of this site.

To view the full version please install the Adobe Flash Player and ensure your web browser has JavaScript enabled.

Need help? check the requirements page.


Get Flash Player